In keeping in what is slowly evolving into a Heavies tradition, I am building another float for the St. Patty's Day Parade here in Buffalo, NY.
It is going to basically be a moving billboard, promoting the Buffalo Heavies and the godsend we are to the community and country at large.
It can be a fun time, is definitely a different experience and is a great start to our expanding season here in WNY.
We will also have some new groups joing us this year.
Kilt Up!, Buffalo Niagra Scottish Festival and members of the Buffalo Niagara Scotia Society Pipes & Drums
The parade, in downtown Buffalo, is Sunday March 17th
You DO NOT have to be a Buffalo Heavie to march with us, more people just makes us look cooler.
I can promise these things:
- hot coffee and donuts at the start
- your first beer, on me, at the end
- a cool float
- the second best time you can have with a cold breeze blowing up your kilt
Kilts are the preferred dress, second is anything green (it is St. Pat's day after all)
Things I have learned from past years:
- the parade starts at 2 pm, we are usually put into one of the last groups and don't start moving til 3pm or later
- it takes about 45 +/- minutes to walk the parade route, which is straight down Delaware Ave downtown
- this is Buffalo. It can be well diggers ass cold in March. Dress for this and you wont have many problems,
of course with our freaky weather, who knows.
- bad weather does not deter alot of people from showing up for this parade or drinking heavily (adjust as needed to the crowds and event)
- they are serious about not throwing things from your parade float
- so long as you don't act like idiots they turn a blind eye towards drinking at the parade
(seriously, their biggest concern is getting the police and firemen out of the bars to march on time)
- kids can get bored waiting around for the parade to start and during the slow ride, you might want to think about a babysitter that day
Through the generosity of the folks at Road Less Traveled Productions , we now have a great hang place after the parade.
Hangout with your fellow marchers or head out into the street to fight the throngs, the choice is yours.
Our amenities include:
- Our own bathroom
- Darts and other assorted entertainment
- Food (most likely pizza and leftover morning donuts)
- Music via CD/radio
Thanks and Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!!
2019 info (To be updated as soon as I know)
OK folks. We finally got our line up for the parade. We are in Division 5. Which means we line up on W. Genesee St. off Niagara Square. If you look at Niagara Square as a clock and are looking north, up Delaware Ave as the 12 o'clock, we are at the 2 o’clock position.
The parade starts at 2pm but we probably won’t move til at least 2:45pm (if not later). If you could get to the float no later than 2pm, I would be eternally grateful. BTW we are between the Erie County Sheriff and the Jeep Wrangler Club
The weather is supposed to be 34 degrees and cloudy. Please dress appropriately.
Parking will be tight, the Road Less Traveled Theater (456 Main St) Their new theatre that is two blocks away from the parade starting point.
If you are so inclined to tape the parade, it will be aired live on Spectrum News Coverage (Formerly TWC) on Channels 1,9, and 200.
Tape delay broadcast of the parade will be on their Cable Channel 20.
For those who are not joining in the parade, but will be downtown, stop by the Road Less Traveled Theater around 4:30pm ish and say hi.
If you have any questions, find me on FB, e-mail me at email@example.com or PM me and I will give you my cell number.
I will have two cases of beer for after the parade. BYOB if you don't think that will be enough. Please drink responsibly, we are a guest of the theater. We will order pizza for after the parade, donations are appreciated.
Thank you for supporting the Buffalo Heavies!!! SEE YOU AT THE PARADE!!!